Archive | Helpful Tips RSS for this section

8 Common Household Items That Are Poisonous To Your Pet

8 Common Household Items That are Poisonous to Your Pet

Animal Poison Prevention Week (March 18-24th)

Poison Prevention

Did you know that our pets are vulnerable and susceptible to accidental ingestion of potentially life-threatening items that we commonly have in our home?

Is your pet curious and can’t resist investigating by smelling, tasting, and sometimes ingesting plants, food, and other items in your home?

It is easy and important to keep your house safe and poison proof for your pet.

Here are 8 common household items that are poisonous to your pet and important to keep out of reach:

1. Plants/ fertilizer
Many flowers and plants are hazardous to our pets. Bouquets often contain flowers that are especially harmful (and sometimes fatal) to cats! Refrain from purchasing bouquets or household plants that contain: Lilies, Azaleas, Dieffenbachias, Daffodils, Tulips, Hyacinths, Sago Palms, and Lily of the Valley. Plant fertilizers can often taste like bone meal or blood meal to dogs. Keep fertilizer bags sealed tightly,  out of reach, and purchase animal safe fertilizers.

2. Batteries
Many dogs enjoy chewing on devices such as remote controls and cell phones containing batteries and batteries themselves. If batteries are consumed, your dog could experience chemical burns.

3. Human Food and Garbage Cans
Be careful feeding Rover and Fluffy table scraps!! Watch out for raisins, grapes, macadamia nuts, onions, garlic, unbaked yeast bread dough, fatty foods, chocolate, and even table salt! Do your best to keep garbage cans behind closed doors. Trash and compost bins may contain toxins such as coffee grounds, cigarette butts, gum, and moldy food that are harmful to your pet.

4. Medications
Keep all medications such as prescription pills, inhalers, over-the- counter pills, and even dietary supplements in high cupboards that are secure. Avoid leaving any medications on tables or countertops, and avoid storing them in plastic bags that are easy for your pet to chew through. NEVER medicate your pet with human medications or products without consulting with us first. Common human medications such as acetaminophen and ibuprofen are extremely poisonous.

When giving your pet medications prescribed by your vet, make sure it is the correct medications and that you store your own medications in a separate location from your pet’s.

5. Cleaning Products
Keep pets out of the room while cleaning and using any bathroom or household cleaners, and close toilet lids to prevent them from drinking the water after cleaning, especially if you use a bowl treatment or a cleaner pod you clip to your toilet seat.

6. Rodenticide/Insecticide/ Grub and Snail Killers
Keep all rat traps far away from pets. Rodents can transfer the products to locations your pet can access. When spraying insecticide keep your pet away from the area and clean the area thoroughly once the product has done its job. Look for animal safe grub and snail killers. Those that contain metaldehyde can be harmful to your pets.

7. Glue
Keep all types of glue out of reach. Some utility glues expand greatly once dispensed or consumed and require surgical removal. Just one ounce of Gorilla Glue may expand to the size of a basketball!

8. Antifreeze and other automotive fluids
Antifreeze (Ethylene Glycol) is extremely toxic to animals. It usually has a sweet taste that can be appealing to our pets. Keep all automotive fluids such as brake fluid, and windshield cleaner fluid away from pets.

For more information, you can visit :

Why Do Dogs and Cats Eat Grass?


It’s springtime! Temperatures are warming, rain is plentiful, flowers are blooming, and the grass is lush and green. The pleasant weather drives many people and their pets outdoors for recreation after a long, cold winter. You might notice your dog or cat occasionally grazing on tender new blades of grass when they are outside. Some may vomit the grass, while others seem unaffected. Why do they eat grass? Although this is a common behavior for our pets, especially dogs, we actually don’t know why they eat grass. However, there are several theories.

They eat grass when they have an upset stomach to cause vomiting.

This is probably the most common belief among pet owners as to why their pets eat grass. Dogs and cats cannot digest grass, so it has no nutritional value for them. Eating grass supposedly causes irritation to the stomach, which leads to vomiting. The question is, are these pets already nauseous before eating the grass, or does the grass make them nauseous? There is not much research in veterinary literature that addresses this issue, but the few studies and surveys that have been done suggest that most pets do not vomit after eating grass. Many normal dogs and cats eat grass every day and rarely vomit. However, pets that do have some gastrointestinal disease or inflammation may be more likely to vomit after eating grass than normal pets. Have these animals “learned” that grass is an effective way to relieve stomach upset? It’s possible, but we simply don’t know.

If your dog or cat seems to eat grass and plant material excessively, it may be time for a checkup with your veterinarian, especially if this is a new, sudden behavior. If vomiting is frequent, or if there are other signs of gastrointestinal disease such as weight loss or diarrhea, then a physical exam and diagnostic testing by your vet are in order.

They eat grass because they have a dietary deficiency.

Some people wonder if their pets eat grass due to some nutrient deficiency, but there is no evidence to support this. Dogs and cats are fed a variety of types of diets, and no correlation has been found between ingestion of grass and type of diet fed. However, a pet that is excessively hungry due to a metabolic disorder may try to eat grass, dirt, or other items. If your pet’s appetite seems abnormally high, it needs to be evaluated by a veterinarian. Also, if you do happen to feed your pets a diet that is not commercially prepared (such as home cooked or raw), consult with your veterinarian regarding the proper balance of nutrients in such a diet.

They eat grass because they are stressed or anxious.

When dogs and cats experience environmental stress, they will sometimes do what is called a displacement behavior. Some external stressor, for example a scary noise or a conflict with a housemate, leads them to do an unrelated activity, such as grooming or tail chasing. This out-of-context behavior can help them cope with the stressful situation. Some animals will also develop chronic compulsive disorders due to stress, and abnormal eating behavior can fall into this category. Eating grass is not a common displacement behavior, but it is a possibility. Consider the context in which your dog or cat eats grass, and consult with your veterinarian if you are concerned that your pet has anxiety.

They eat grass because they like it!

In normal dogs and cats, the most likely explanation for eating grass is that they enjoy it. Grass may be appealing to pets as they explore and scavenge in their environment. Occasional ingestion of grass is not harmful and isn’t cause for concern. However, do not let your pet eat grass that was recently chemically treated or fertilized, as the chemicals can cause stomach upset. Also, while untreated grass is safe, many other plants are not and can be toxic to dogs and cats. It is best to prevent them from ingesting other plants in general.

Further research is needed to determine why our pets eat grass. Whether it serves some evolutionary purpose, or if they simply enjoy it, we don’t know for sure. Just remember that if you suspect a health problem, consult your veterinarian for the most trusted advice.

For more reading:

Four Tips for A Successful Appointment

Visiting Community Veterinary Clinic doesn’t have to be a stressful experience. Taking certain steps before your appointment is a great way to take the best care of your pet. Follow these simple steps to help your pets get the most out of their visit.

Pack a bag:

Bring something from home, like a toy or blanket, on your trip here. Familiar scents and items can help your pet deal with the strange sights and sounds they encounter away from home. These familiar items are especially useful if your pet will be staying at the hospital overnight.

Get used to the carrier:

In the days leading up to the appointment, help your pet acclimate to their carrier. Use treats and meal times to encourage your pet to enter the carrier on their own. Leaving the carrier out with the door open can encourage our pets to explore and familiarize themselves with the carrier. On the day of the appointment, try to encourage your pet to enter the carrier on their own.

Practice at home:

Practice with your pet at home to mimic stimuli they will experience during their visit. Things like: touch and examine their feet and claws, lift their ears, and comb their fur. Use treats and toys to make this a rewarding experience for your pet. This kind of practice will help reduce the anxiety your pet feels when these same actions are performed during their visit.

Don’t overdo it:

Resist the urge to take your pet to other appointments or outings on the same day as a visit to the vet. Excessive time in the vehicle, or overloading new sights and sounds can be very stressful. Allowing our pets to rest and relax after a visit helps leave a positive impression in the pet’s mind for the next visit.

A trip to the doctor is a necessary part of helping our pets be as healthy as they can be. Obviously, nobody knows your pet as well as you do, if there is something we can do to help your pets enjoy their visit, please let us know!

For more reading: